The University of Batangas Community Extension Services must be able to respond to the call for societal transformation by serving the poorest of the poor, the less privileged, the deprived and the oppressed.
The University of Batangas Community Extension Services shall operate on the following principles:
1. Extension service goals should be achieved through the participation of the stakeholders and the University community. The potential of the stakeholders will be identified and developed to the end that the target community shall be trained and capacitated to solve their own problems, make and implement their own decisions.
2. The leadership and managerial skills and potentials of the community leaders shall be developed. CES shall prepare the leaders to continue carry on with the project operation after active community extension work by the community shall have ceased.
3. The university shall establish a clear time frame. The gradual phase-out of the community extension workers shall be co-terminus with the funding of the extension program as approved by higher and proper authorities.
4. There shall be continuous monitoring of the project from the initial planning stage and beyond the phase-out/project termination phase. For this reason, the community shall be trained to handle and sustain projects in order to increase the community’s involvement in the management process.
5. The target community shall be enjoined to a focus group discussion to identify their needs, problems and solutions. The community shall be encouraged and be motivated to seek alternative solutions to their own problems.
6. The project should prove to be sustainable by:
a. Advocating organizational policies and sanctions as determined by the respective community;
b. Institutionalize self-help concepts to bring about internal organizational funding;
c. Continuing social and technical education for its members.